Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Life in Sweden (or what I've noticed so far)



I thought I'd list some things that will always remind me of Sweden. Here goes:

1. Lilacs (they smell great and are in full bloom now in white, light purple & deep purple)

2. Bikes & Bells-Swedes ride these amazing, vintage bikes everywhere & when you're
accidentally walking in the bike lane, they ding their bike bell to signal someone's coming behind you and move out of the way!

3. Squeegies-your shower and bathroom are all one room, so after you shower, it's polite to squeegie the floor to get all the excess water up!

4. Fika-complete with large mugs of tea or small cups of coffee, kloddkaka (chocolate cake) & tea cookies that are like Moravian ginger cookies.

5. Beautiful Graveyards-I'm not sure if this is all of Sweden or just Uppsala, but the graveyard here is gorgeous! It's perfectly manicured and every grave has a small garden, 
planted and tended by the family.

6. Scarves, leggings, & other 80's styles-the fashion here in Sweden is hit or miss in my opinion. Swedes are definately decked out and look great, but sometimes I find myself wondering, "Did that girl just wake up and make that shirt a dress by putting on leggings underneath?!"

7. Swedish mentality-I wish I knew the Swedish term for this thinking, but my friends here have told me it's common to not want to stick out or draw attention to oneself through achievements, large purchases, etc. It's considered rude. So different from America, where we celebrate individualism and everyone wants to get ahead and make it to the top!

8. Windows & Architecture: clean lines, large windows that open out really wide, tile roofs, bright, sunny colors for houses like yellow, red or creams.

9. Ikea, H&M, & Volvo-just a few of the contributions the Swedes have made to home furnishings and design, clothing for young adults, and car lovers all over the globe!

10. Food-I've tried and/or often eat yummy salads w/ lots of vegetables and feta, sandwiches, Swedish meatballs w/ Lingonberry jam, and pasta. I've stayed away from the seafood, however!

That's all I can come up with for now. I'm sure the list will grow, though! Hope that gives you a better picture of life over here!






1 comment:

  1. Jeanettey-
    this is my 2nd attempt to try to post a comment...I am sorry I don't know how to do it???? I need training...but...maybe now that i opened a google acct. this will work? I hope you will let me paint some pics from your originals...you are taking some amazing photos...now, I am going out to garden a bit , and I am thinking of you. My shade growing pots are doing nicely. Come see them. Jules

    ReplyDelete